History of Cache County, Utah
Taken from the Utah History Encyclopedia (Links Added)
Area: 1,171 square miles; population: 70,180 (in 1990); county seat: Logan; origin of county name: derived from the French verb cacher, "to hide," because early trappers in Cache Valley concealed their pelts and supplies for safekeeping; principal cities/towns: Logan (32,762), Smithfield (5,566), Hyrum (4,829), North Logan (3,788), Providence (3,344), Wellsville (2,206), Hyde Park (2,190), Richmond (1,955), Lewiston (1,532), Nibley (1,167); economy: manufacturing, trade, education, agriculture, dairying; points of interest: Cache National Forest, Logan Canyon, Hardware Elk Ranch, Beaver Ski Resort, Hyrum Lake State Park, Ronald V. Jensen Living Historical Farm, Logan LDS Temple, Logan LDS Tabernacle, Wellsville LDS Tabernacle, Logan Historic District, *Utah State University (Old Main, Nora Eccles Harrison Art Museum).

Cache County, located in the northern part of the state, is bordered by the Wasatch Mountains on the east and a spur of the Wasatch, the Wellsville Mountains, on the west. The Bear River flows through the northwestern corner of the county where the Little Bear, Blacksmith Fork, and Logan rivers add their waters to it. Cache County was formed in 1856 by the territorial legislature and its boundaries were redefined in 1864 when part of Cache became Richland (Rich) County.

Northern Utah was part of the Plains Culture area and, later, Shoshoni territory. Between 1824 and 1855 Cache Valley was repeatedly visited by trappers and explorers. Among the early trappers in the area were James Weber and Jim Bridger in 1824 and Peter Skene Ogden and James Beckwourth in 1825.

Settlement of Cache Valley by the Mormons began in 1855 when a group organized by Bryant Stringham drove a herd of cattle into the valley on 29 July and camped at Haw Bush Spring, later known as Elkhorn Ranch. Because the winter of 1855-56 was very severe, the cattle were driven back to the Salt Lake Valley. Peter Maughan, sent to Cache Valley in 1856, founded a permanent settlement called Maughan's Fort, which became the present town of Wellsville. More settlers began to arrive and five towns (Providence, Mendon, Logan, Richmond, and Smithfield) were settled in 1859.

Page 1
Comments & Questions to

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |