History of Lucin, Utah (*) Ghost Town
Lucin (Box Elder), was a small railroad community located on the west side of the Great Salt Lake. The name comes from a local fossil bivalve, lucina subanta. The town was originally located ca. ten miles to the north and shifted to its current location in 1903. It consisted mainly of employees of the Central and South Pacific Railroads. The original grade of the railroad can be seen here heading east/northeast to Promontory and the Golden Spike National Historic Site.

In order to save time and to avoid some 40 miles of difficult and long climbs through the mountains, the Promontory Branch was eliminated and a new route was consdtructed across the Great Salt Lake by trestle and built up grade. The new railway, completed in 1904, became known as the Lucin Cutoff. The old steel rails were removed in 1942 and used in the war effort.

After its demise in 1936, the community was again resettled shortly thereafter by a few retired railroad workers. However in 1972 the site was once again completely abandoned.

Page 1

Comments & Questions to

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |