History of Silver Fork, Utah
Taken from the Utah Place Names. (Links Added)

Silver Fork (Salt Lake). The mouth of Silver Fork Canyon is two miles down-canyon from Brighton. This area has an interesting history. It began in 1854 when sawmills were guilt to produce timber and timber products such as shingles. Lumber from this area was used in the construction of the famous Mormon Tabernacle. The lumber men and their families lived at the mouth of what became Silver Fork Canyon.The emphasis on lumbering operations began to change in the 1870s when ore products were discovered in the vicinity. Several mines were then developed and the local emphasis began to shift towards mining. It was at this time that the lumbering community received the name Silver Fork. As the timber resources were depleted and the mines were worked out, the area reverted to grazing lands. Then in the early 1900s, transportation to and from the canyon improved and building lots were sold for cabins and summer homes. Today Silver Fork thrives as a year-round community.

John W. Van Cott

Web OnlineUtah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dining | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging | Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts | Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather