Herriman is in
the southwest sector of the Salt lake Valley 8.7 miles east of the Bingham Copper Mine. Twenty-two
miles northeast is Salt Lake City. The town
was first called Butterfield for Thomas Butterfield, who settled there
in 1849. Shortly after 1858 Butterfield was renamed Herriman for Henry
Harriman, a prominent resident. Note the spelling change from Harriman to the town name today.
In 1854 the following individuals, Thomas Butterfield, Henry Harriman, Samuel Egbert, Robert Petty, John Stocking, Charles Crump and others, in order to protect against Indian hostilities build Fort Harriman. By 1858 as Johnston's Army arrived and conflicts with the Indians decreased, Brigham Young ordered the fort abandoned.
The city was incorporated in 1999.
G. William Wiersdorf
See: Utah Place Names 1997, John W. Van Cott; Wikipedia, Summer of Monuments.