(Kane) is a livestock and ranching community near the head of Long Valley,
twenty miles northeast of Glendale at the base of the beautiful Sunset
Cliffs. These cliffs are part of the west boundary of the Paunsaugunt
Plateau. Alton's earliest name was Roundys Station after Lorenzo Wesley
Roundy and his family. Roundy built two log cabins there but was forced
to abandon his ranch site because he was having trouble with the Indians.
He drowned in 1876 while ferrying supplies across the Colorado River.
The site was later named Graham for Graham Duncan MacDonald, a pioneer
of nearby Ranch. MacDonald was a bookkeeper for an adjacent sawmill;
he also helped haul lumber for the construction of the St. George Mormon
temple. Alton was an outgrowth of nearby Upper Kanab and was considered
part of that settlement at one time. As time passed, various names were
discussed for Alton-to-be, but none were accepted until a drawing was
held at a community social in 1912. Among the names put into a hat for
the drawing was one suggested by Charles R. Pugh who had been reading
a book about the Alton Fjord in Norway, known for the height of its
surrounding mountains. A two-year-old child drew the name from the hat.
W. Van Cott