in Cache County, with a 1990 census population of 687, is eight miles west by southwest of Logan and five miles north of Wellsville on
county road 23. Situated near the confluence of the Little Bear and Logan rivers, the town lies snug against Wellsville Mountain between
converging foothills on the west side of Cache Valley. Mendon epitomizes
the landscape of the Mormon village: it was
located to take advantage of water, arable land, climate conditions,
defense possibilities, and accessibility.
In the spring
of 1855, Alexander and Robert Hill, brothers from Mill Creek in Salt
Lake Valley, drove a herd of range cattle over the mountains from
Malad Valley to Cache Valley. They built a cabin at the site of Mendon
and started farms. In 1856 William Gardner and his family settled to
the south of the townsite at Gardner's Creek.
Spring of 1859
saw the beginning of a great influx of settlers from the Mill Creek
and Big Cottonwood areas to North Settlement (beyond Maughan's Fort).
Most were immigrants from England, Scotland, and Denmark. Others came
from the Atlantic coast, the Midwest, and Canada. They included the
Anderson, Atkinson, Bird, Farr, Findley, Forster, Gibson, Jensen, Larsen,
Lemmon, Luckham, Shumway, Sorensen, Sweeten, and Willie families. According
to E.W. Tullidge, the date of arrival was 2 May 1859. Charles Shumway,
a member of the Council of Fifty, served as LDS presiding elder, with
James Willie, recent captain of the ill-fated Fourth Handcart Company
(1856), as his counselor. The Richards brothers built a cabin, which
became the first in a fort of log houses. Jesse Fox surveyed the site
for the Territory of Utah. Ira Ames and George Snyder built a sawmill.