is on US-89 two miles (3.22 km) south of Gunnison and 5.4 miles (8.69 km) north of Axtell. Around the 1860s settlers from
Gunnison moved here and claimed acreage under "Squatter's Rights". Homes were soon buiIt and an LDS Centerfield Ward was organized in 1897. In the early 1880s Centerfield was known as South Gunnison or The Field. On August 29,
1896, The Field became Centerfield being in the center of the fertile Gunnison
Valley. By 1898 a post office had been established. In 1908 the Town Hall was built and in 1909 Centerfield was incorporated.
G. William Wiersdorf
See: DUP Plaques; Utah Place Names 1997, John W. Van Cott.