Utah's second settlement and was named for one of the ancient American
cities described in the Book of Mormon. Bountiful was settled not long
after Mormon pioneers arrived in the Salt Lake Valley. Perrigrine Sessions explored the area just three days after his arrival. In September 1847
Sessions gathered his family into their wagon and herded 300 head of
cattle into the South Davis Valley. Other families moved into the area
and began planting crops the following year. Fifty-three families had
established farms in the area by 1850.
Because of repeated Indian problems, a fort was constructed of dirt walls, three-quarters
of a mile square, with the townsite being laid out within its boundaries.
Each man from the area was required to put in a ten-hour day of labor
toward its construction, and all settlers were urged to move within
its fortified walls. Though the fort was never completed and its gates
were not installed, portions of the walls stood until the turn of the
was first called "Session's Settlement," and later "North Mill Creek
Canyon," which was shortened to "North Canyon." In 1854, the first post
office was established and was named "Stoker" in honor of the settlement's
Mormon bishop, John Stoker. On 17 February 1855 the name Bountiful was
accepted unanimously by the people of the community.